Italian Ronnie Quintarelli won season rounds three and four of the Formula Volkswagen supported by ZF Sachs in Zolder, Belgium. Finn Marko Nevalainen came second in both races, each time from Florian Stoll.
In qualifying, Sven Barth was fastest. With a lap time of 1.32.662 minutes at the 3.977 km long former Grand Prix-track, he was 0.115 seconds faster than Finn Marko Nevalainen. The driver of the Finnish Matson Motorsport-team seems to like Zolder: last year, he already won a race of the Formula Volkswagen at the same venue. Italian Ronnie Quintarelli qualified in third place. Thus, drivers from three different countries occupied the first three places on the grid.
1st round (Saturday, July 6):
Pole-Sitter Sven Barth could not convert his good grid position in the race: because of a technical problem, he could only start very late. While Nevalainen took the lead, Quintarelli and Stoll collided on the way to the first corner, but they still slotted into second and third place respectively. Shortly after, there was bad luck for the race leader: Nevalainen damaged the front wing of his car while riding over a curbs. This didn't prevented him from defending his first place with all efforts, although Quintarelli and Stoll really put the pressure on him. Soon, Daniel La Rosa also closed up to the front runners, so that a quartet was fighting for the podium positions. On lap 14, Quintarelli outbraked Marko Nevalainen before the Jacky Ickx-chicane and took the lead. Then, the Italian drove victory home. Nevalainen occupied second place, Stoll decided the exciting battle for third in his favour, outpacing La Rosa.
2nd round (Sunday, July 7):
At the start, Quintarelli took the lead from Stoll and Nevalainen. Sven Barth showed a strong performance: having started 12th after his bad luck from the day before, he was already fifth after three laps. Out in front, Quintarelli and Stoll battled for the lead. Later on, Quintarelli pulled clear, while Nevalainen closed the gap to second-placed Stoll with some very fast laps. Soon after that, he outbraked the German. The fight for fourth place with Daniel La Rosa and Sven Barth also remained exciting, with Barth getting past under braking for the first corner. In the remainder of the race, Barth kept a high pace, but he just missed out on a podium finish. Quintarelli claimed an undisputed win from Nevalainen, Stoll and Barth.
Result 3rd round, Zolder/B, July 6, 2002 (17 laps)
1. Ronnie Quintarelli (Italy) in 26.57.837 min.
2. Marko Nevalainen (Finland) 3.213 behind
3. Florian Stoll ( Rickenbach/D) 3.441
4. Daniel La Rosa (Hanau/D) 3.917
5. Christian Gratl (Italy) 19.201
6. Stefan Tiesmeyer (Osnabrück/D) 20.073
7. Jarno Unland (Emsbüren/D) 23.217
8. Michael Stephen (South Africa) 23.923
9. Eric Groes (Belgium) 33.761
10. Iris Thurnherr (Switzerland) 51.535
Fastest lap: Daniel La Rosa in 1.33.513 min = 153.104 km/h
Result 4th round, Zolder/B, July 7, 2002 (18 laps)
1. Ronnie Quintarelli (Italy) in 27.52.767 min.
2. Marko Nevalainen (Finnland) 1.927 behind
3. Florian Stoll (Rickenbach/D) 5.446
4. Sven Barth (Gorxheimertal/D) 9.987
5. Daniel La Rosa (Hanau/D) 12.245
6. Christian Gratl (Italy) 24.213
7. Bastian Kolmsee (Wiehl/D) 24.778
8. Jeff Raach (Luxemburg) 30.872
9. Stefan Tiesmeyer (Osnabrück/D) 36.193
10. Jarno Unland (Emsbüren/D) 43.880
Fastest lap: Sven Barth in 1.32.040 = 155.554 km/h
1. Ronnie Quintarelli 90 points
2. Daniel La Rosa 87 points
3. Marko Nevalainen 71 points
4. Sven Barth 71 points
5. Florian Stoll 70 points
6. Christian Gratl 61 points